I've been working on an owl, this time I wanted to have a go at using silk to give a soft floaty texture.
Starting with a core of merino wool I created the base shape, including the eyes, there was much discussion as to whether it should have one eye closed or open I decided that the final decision would be made later.
Once this was completed, I started to add the silk to the wings, the silk is so soft but so tough it is surprising how difficult it is to pull to get shorter lengths.
This is a slow process, the effect is quite different from working with the wool.
I wanted to give some color, and past experience told me the best product would be a silk dye…there's another few hours disappeared through experimenting, it's amazing where time goes!
Just a little colour I thought, I know in the past I have ruined pieces by over working them.
And the finished piece… Hope you like him 🙂